Sunday, April 20, 2008

This is me



So here I am at the Vinoy Hotel in St.Pete shortly after John and I were married. Our dear friends pitched in and purchased a night's stay at the hotel for us as a gift. We had such a great time!!

If you look closely at the photo, you will see that I am wearing my hair in cornrows. John hated this hairstyle so much. I didn't think it was so bad. He really disliked the back because the braids hung down like a mullet sort of. I just wore the back up in a bun.

I decided to have the cornrows put in because I was so bored with my hair. I needed a change. I had been thinking about it but decided one Sunday afternoon to get it done. I called a few African braid shops and lucky for me, there was one open on Sundays that was accepting walk-ins. So, I drove to Tampa (of course because there is nothing in Clearwater) and showed up at the African braid shop with freshly washed and detangled hair. The lady got started on me pretty quickly. It did not take too long, only about 2 hours. It seemed like forever though. they were playing a foreign soap opera the entire time and that kept me a little entertained. My scalp was on fire after that for about a week or so. The braids were in pretty tight. I only left the cornrows in for about a month because my scalp around my nape area started to get really irritated. Typically, braids last for about 2-3 months. I took them out and ended up with two tiny bald spots at my nape area. I was so disappointed. I won't be getting that style again- at least not for a long time.

2 Comments:

At 7:33 PM, Blogger johnnie said...

I thought the front was cute. I didn't like the back. Sorry.

 
At 9:31 PM, Blogger dddonna said...

I knew that the comment would be from John. Well, you would have never known until you tried it. I guess it really is kind of a "little girl" thing although lots of big girls wear them. You are really cute no matter how you wear your hair.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home